Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here?  

Go Back   Nubblies.net Forums - Wtf Did You Google To End Up Here? > Normal Stuff > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Fuck the Penny?
FUCK THE PENNY 9 64.29%
I LOVE THE PENNY 1 7.14%
I JUST WANT TO SEE THE RESULTS 4 28.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
MURICAN
 
DJ FC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,136
Internets: 253094
DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute DJ FC has a reputation beyond repute
For Shameful Transgressions
Send a message via AIM to DJ FC
Default It's time for the penny to go

One of the first things I did in Chicago was visit an authentic American McDonald's. I bought some french fries, the bill came to $1.78 and I paid with 2 crisp $1 bills. My change came back to me in the form of 2 dimes... $.20. The mathematicians in the room will note that I was due $.22. I was robbed of $.02 and I didn't care about that at all.

When a store rounds up on your change and gives you say $.25 instead of $.24, that is one sign that the $.01 is of marginal value and in most cases may be a trivial, notional amount. But when a store rounds down on the change with no expectation whatsoever that the customer will complain, then you really know that the currency is worthless. Some customers may still complain, but the vast majority of customers will agree that $.22 and $.20 are "close enough". Indeed if there wasn't some semi-religeous psychological factors involved I'd probably think that $0 and $.22 were "close enough".

The fact is the penny is worthless. Before commodity prices dropped and the dollar had it's recent strength, the US govt. was paying as much as 1.75 cents to print a single penny. (And 7 cents to print a Nickel!). Many argue that the penny is such a strong candidate for being eliminated by arguing that even the Nickel should go!

The Penny Should Go, But What About the Nickel? - Economics Blog - Zubin Jelveh - Odd Numbers - Portfolio.com

When the half cent coin was eliminated in 1857, it was worth $.02 in today's money. So we have a coin which is worth half as much as the one they decided to give the boot.

Play around with this:

The Inflation Calculator

First: A rebuttal of the stupid argument which I'm sure would have been asked or given without my pre-emptive answer:

Q: But now all the stores will round up their prices and we'll get screwed!

A: Not really. Prices can still be in $.01 incriments (Indeed, Gas is sold in $.001 incriments many times), and the rounding will only happen at the final sale. A good which costs $.06 will still cost $.06 and you'll round as the last step.

Professor's research supports eliminating penny


The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them.
DJ FC is offline   Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tucker. Orgazmo Reviews 57 05-28-2012 02:30 AM
Santa Claus Mr. Blonde Jibberish 16 11-30-2010 03:00 AM
960 Ways To Be The Perfect You! ninjaface The Confessional/Advice Line 2 03-22-2008 10:44 PM
Time Zone Garbage DJ FC News 13 11-30-2005 07:40 PM
Some Jibberish DJ FC Jibberish 13 01-07-2005 04:57 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright © 2002-∞ - Nubblies.net