![]() |
|
|
#1 (permalink) |
|
Senior Member
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 13,643
Internets: 247330
|
You may or may not have noticed a new Forum on Nubblies called "Life Projects". I am buzzing with excitement thinking about the potential of what this forum could become. I was laying in bed with a headache thinking about what a struggle life is. I thought about how bad I am at following through on things: exercise regimines, website ideas, interpersonal relationships, and so on. Perhaps many of you can relate to what I'm talking about. It's not hard to formulate a vision of where you want your life to go, but when it comes to following through on that vision, we get discouraged, frustrated, fearful, distracted, and lost. In short, we fail.
I'm sick of failing. I'm sick of living with the perpetual headache that comes with the subconscious knowledge that I could be doing better. We could all be doing better! Can you feel it? Can you feel what I'm talking about? I know you feel it too because I know we're all struggling to get what we want out of life. I can sense your struggle and I hope you can sense mine! What am I talking about? Good question! I'd like to share with you what I wrote to Austin today on instant messenger. My idea for this forum came to fruition through this conversation: Me: i got it austin Austin: what have you got, boy? Me: we need open projects we need a collaborative interface nubblies could work but i think the forums limit it people are too disconnected rely too much on themselves get discouraged don't live up to their highest dreams i got it just now though we need to help each other live up to our dreams like we need to ask for help more perfect example: i want to lose a little weight and get better looking i want to get down to 190 but i have such a hard time following through on things that's a bigger problem in and of itself but i need people to help me follow through on stuff accountability... so key Austin: okay... so are you talking about you and I or people in general Me: people in general it can start with nubblies though this is what i want austin i want people to help me with things that i say i want help with and in exchange i'll help them with things they say they want help with people just need to be told what to do Austin: i agree...and people, in general, like i help with things that they know a lot about Me: yes the whole is greater than the sum of the parts Austin: positive reflection on themself Me: we can be better because we work together what i want... is to work together but we need an interface to do it through Austin: as a team Me: i think a forum is limiting Austin: well what do you have in mind? Me: can you see where i'm going with this? i dunno like i envision a bunch of open projects that are given color codes "UB's Get down to 190" project and "Blonde's Get a badass job" project and shit and they're all open and we all work towrads helping each other like in mine someone would say UB, right now, buy a scale every morning when you wake up you step on that scale and you tell us what it says Austin: i think we can do that with forums a thread per project Me: the problem is stuff will get buried and it's too linear in nature Austin: not if you post every day Me: and people will lose their excitement of what it was when the thread was originally amde it needs to be more static updates Austin: well I think that would happen with any kind of interface Me: hmm okay how hard would it be to make a new forum for this like a forum within nubblies i think it should be closed to the otuside world at first and we do it invite only to start Austin: it'd be cake Me: the thread tiles all have "Open:" or "Complete:" at the start you change the title if/when your goal is accomplished can you do this now? or not at work? we need an invite list and a name for the forum at first i think it should just be a few people who we can trust to stay positive and help it grow blonde, id, gayve, you, me, repug,... who else jerad shaw okay i'm going to write two things right now a "welcome to x forum" post that will be a sticky Austin: can't do it now can def do it tonight Me: and a "Open: I Want to weigh 190" project let's call it Life Projects Austin: this is good i like this Me: how about that ![]() Austin: sounds perfect Me: yes... this will be the greatest idea i have in my life this will grow and it will catch on people helping each other be better Austin: I mean Me: why rely solely on yourself to become better when someone else can do it for you? ![]() Austin: I don't see why we can't just have this open to anyone Me: hmm okay Austin: any registered user who would shit on it? Me: well i just want to keep out the negativity at first i want it to be like a team no outsiders yet let's get our confidence up first all regular members are fine but maybe keep it closed to the public Austin: that's fine Me: so people don't hesitate to post shit that would otehrwise be embarrassing Austin: but nubblies really gets no public traffic either way, that's fine ya, good point it's a mind thing Me: we can have it where people can apply to get in very simple just say "i want in" and we let them in but just make it so they at least have to do that let's call it Life Projects ![]() i'm going to make the welcom eot life projects post right now Austin: it'll be called Life projects Me: write it, that is Austin: good stuff Me: help me write it brainstorm if you know what should be in that post should i just paste our convo on here? Austin: I think what you told me in this IM converasa;dfljk yes Me: </end convo> My central hypothesis on this whole idea is that people need other people to tell them what to do. People like the comfort that comes with letting others "call their shots". It takes the pressure off of one's self and puts it on someone else. What makes this such a valuable idea is that others aren't "trapped in your mind" so to speak. They're trapped in their own minds, sure, but not in yours. They can see you and your life from a outsider's perspective and, in some cases, understand much more completely what needs to be done in order for you to get where you want to go. Let's wake up! Let's cut out the fear and judgement from our lives and let's work together to help each other get what we want out of life. Let's not be afraid to ask each other for help. Let's be completely honest and shameless in telling each other what we want. Let's use the power of collaboration to help each other get what we want out of life! Let's tell each other what to do in order to help us complete our projects! Let's start threads where the title is formatted as such: "Open: [whatever it is you wish to complete]". For example, my first thread will be "Open: Help Me Get Down to 190 Pounds". And once I've gotten down to my desired weight, I'll change the thread title to "Complete: Help Me Get Down to 190 Pounds" and we'll allow the thread to drift into the archives. How will that project be brought to completion? You tell me! That is what Life Projects is all about! We will come to each other with frank, honest confessions of a goal we have and we'll all work together to make sure that person reaches their goal. Admission to this forum is granted upon request. The forum is closed to the public eye. If you would like your Nubblies account to be enabled to participate in the Life Projects forum, simply send a PM to Orgazmo stating as much. |
|
|
|
|
|
#4 (permalink) | |
|
G'd up from the feet up.
|
This is UB's best post in a while.
Edit: Wait a second... Quote:
| |
|
Creeping around as I please nonchalantly like any other Supreme Emperor might.
Last edited by Ironic Mustache; 11-04-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Sadness. |
||
|
|
|
|
|
#8 (permalink) |
|
English.
|
very good idea, was just about to make a thread on liberty cap mushrooms, but it can wait.
Let's walk the yellow brick road together! Edit : just read it without skimming, I'm crying here. |
|
there is little I wouldn't do for a dolphin.
Last edited by Heaven Can Wait; 11-04-2008 at 06:37 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
|
#10 (permalink) |
|
MURICAN
|
:-(
|
![]() The basis of our governments being the opinion of the people, the very first object should be to keep that right; and were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter. But I should mean that every man should receive those papers and be capable of reading them. ![]() |
|
|
|
|
![]() |
| Bookmarks |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Behind the Posts: Tonguegina | tonguegina | Rants | 24 | 03-03-2009 07:07 PM |